Mobile phones, a dire neccesity

"Roti, Kapda aur Makaan" (Food, clothing & shelter) are the basic necessities of life, or so I've been told. But keeping in mind the events that happened with me in the past week, i'd like to add another item to the said list, and that's a cellular phone. That's right, a cellular phone, the one's that in your hand right now. Surprised? Confused? Perplexed? A mobile phone, a necessity? I don't blame you.


See what happened is, my dad lost his phone about 10 days ago, and the busy man that he is, he needed a phone with him all the times, you know, taking calls, making calls, all important business stuff. So I gave him my phone. I thought what the heck man, I'm not some teenage girl who has to have a phone on her 24x7 (No offence girls, I still love y'all) But then, after just a day or so, I began to feel something different.

I am depended on my cellphone for varied purposes, which are:
     1. Music Playback: Whenever I travel, either by air, road, rail or by foot, I always do it my tunes in the background. A bit of 'Midnight flyer' running in the back makes the journey more interesting. Any travel without music is just boring.
     2. Photography: I'm sort of a shutterbug, whenever I'm on the move and I see something celluloid worthy, I just whip out my Nokia and capture the scene with my 2 mpx camera. Good for preserving random instantaneous memories.
     3. GPS services: Lot of times, I just take Robert frost too seriously and take the road not taken by many, sometimes I get lost, sometimes I take double the time to reach the destination. But the GPS in my phone helps me a lot to find my way.
     4. Internet services: My one way access to all the world's news, gossips, satires, social bullshit & what not.
     5. Phone services: Last and not the least, the real purpose of the cellular phone, which has been lost since the hipsters came back and started posting the pics of their food on instagram, is calling. I call my folks and other people with it.


Now what happened this past week was that I had to go to Ludhiana to bring my grandma to Chandigarh with us. Ludhiana is at most a 3 hour drive from Chandigarh. My dad had a conference there so he dropped me off midway in the city, closest to my destination. But the funny part was, I had visited Ludhiana after a long span of 12 years or so. So the whole city was kinda new to me. I couldn't recognise anything and my memory served me no good.
I forgot to ask my dad the residence number of my uncle where my grandma was at the moment. And I began searching for the house.
Thus began the longest 10 km walk of my life. After half an hour, I gave up on the house search. So I figured that I'd better locate a PCO so as to call my uncle and inform him about my location. I began asking at all the major shops and showrooms, but couldn't find a PCO or a payphone anywhere. All this time I was missing my music and my GPS. If I had my phone with me I would have saved at least 2 hours of my time, as well as my Uncle's time, who was also out there the whole time, searching for me in another part of the colony.


After walking and searching for like 2 hours and 10 kilometers, I located a payphone, called up my uncle and met up with him. That day I realized, that mobile phone is a must. Especially for someone who spends even 40% of their life outdoors.


That is why I say, that along with food, clothing & shelter, mobile phone is a dire necessity, especially for me.

Comments

Popular Picks