A New Year...A New Beginning


 So 2013 is here, and as brought to my attention by my cousin, it’s time to shift the DVDs of the famous Hollywood movie ‘2012’ from Action/Thriller section to Comedy section.

First things first, a very happy new year to all of you and your family, may this year be full of prosperity and happiness. May you get an even faster broadband so that you can check out my blog everyday (and leave comments too perhaps?)

So, New Year’s eve, or as they say it in my circles, ‘Day to spend lavishly to get a bad hangover, traffic violations, relapsed memory and lots of awkward moments’ eve. Sad but true, I’ll tell you why.
There was once a time when New Year celebrations where very humble and festive. They were much simpler times, when only your uncle with contacts in the Indian Army’ CSD canteen could arrange liquor for the party, and that too only the real classy scotch, which was mostly relished by the elder males of the family and the adolescent guys had to savor themselves on the soft drinks. The gatherings were small & warm, with people only inviting their close friends and relatives thus making the guests feel special and the event more joyous.

Now welcome to the 21st century, where people, when served with food have one important rule, “Instagram first, eat later!” The social media generation, where one is defined by the number of followers he or she has on Twitter, has redefined this occasion. Now people don’t believe in small, close and homely parties with limited drinking rules. They spend, and that too a lot, to get into clubs with incessantly loud music, highly overpriced food (which they won’t eat properly anyway, dance is their food) and liquor, lots and lots of liquor.

Now I am not a usual guy, usual being iPhone wielding, always online, yelling ‘Yo Man! Wassup?’ at any person even remotely acquainted to me. I had such a phase, but I outgrew it very quickly, true story. I prefer the company of my friends, a bucket of KFC and one really good extra cheesy pizza and a frothy chilled beer and I’m set. The idea of nightclubs is fine, I wouldn’t mind going into one, but given their high cost of entrance, it’s a waste. Here’s how:
                1. Unlimited drinks:  Good thing, but I’ve gotta drive, how much will I drink anyway? Plus the city roads at this time of the year are filled with policemen equipped with breath analyzers, you know the rest.
                2. Loneliness: I have no close friends here in Chandigarh, so going into a nightclub alone, with no one to chat, have fun with, where’s the sense in that?
                3. Typical Punjabi Rap music: The likes of Yo Yo Honey Singh or whatever his name is, that isn’t hip hop or rap or decent music. Eminem is rap, that’s it.



Okay, that was a bit too cynical, the nightclubs aren’t that bad, but you know, it’s the ambiance nowadays. People getting drunk, partying like there’s no tomorrow, I can’t be the only one who finds that a bit too enthusiastic. Plus it’s these drunken over-zealous party folks who cause much trouble to the common public during and after the party.

Anyways, the point is, the way of celebration has changed, but the motive of celebrating the onset of a new year, with the hope that this new year will be better, and hopefully less stupid, than the previous year. It’s the time to get together, make new friends, strengthen existing relationships, hope for a better future, thank the ongoing year for its experiences and celebrate, because a happy beginning is a job half done.

Plus, I have a little surprise for the readers too. I don’t believe in and nor do I do resolutions, but for you all folks, I’ll make an exception this time. My resolution is that from now on, I’ll post regularly starting from today; I’ll post a new blog every 14 days! I promise!
And as a gift to you guys, I’ll start an audio podcast as well, so that you can listen to my voice (I’ve been told that I have a nice voice) anytime you want too!

So, see you on the 18th January. Till then, happy New Year, have fun, enjoy responsibly. Adios!

Comments

Popular Picks