Let's Put an End to this World


I have very ordinary mornings like everybody else. After I wake up and muster enough strength to break out of the chains of laziness and get out of the bed, I proceed to carry on with my usual routine tasks. I start my day by greeting my folks a very good morning, which in these times is highly ironic, then after drinking a glass of water I go to take a leak (again, ironic). Then the dog walking, which requires at least 20 minutes and a lot of getting pulled and yanked around by my mischievous and highly curious dog.  Then after all that, I get down eating my breakfast, normally a half fried egg sandwich with black coffee. A compulsory non edible accompaniment to my breakfast is the newspaper. It is like a daily habit, reading the headlines, global news, editorial section, movie reviews, ongoing events around me and even the comics. I need the paper each morning.

As you all know, I’ve been at my home since June2012; I’ve been reading newspapers more deeply since then. And it depresses me to say that, these are the words which have made the most headlines in these past 7 months:
Murder, Robbery, Mob war, Communal Riots, Rape, Homicide, Domestic Violence, Gun violence, Mass murder.

Now I’m no Shakespeare but these all words don’t seem to be positive words. In fact, they all are highly negative, frightening and sad words. And their repeated occurrence shows that we are headed nowhere good. The word HUMANITY is fading from the minds of the people.

Let me cite the two recent cases as examples, and I’m sure you all are aware of them both:
       
1.       The Connecticut Shootout:  A youth gunned down innocent children and adults in a school in Newtown    Connecticut. After killing almost everyone in sight, the culprit shot himself. In its Aftermath, The President of the United States of America spoke forcefully on the country’s failings in protecting its children and demanded changes in response the mass shootings of the last few months. “We can’t tolerate this anymore. These tragedies must end. And to end them, we must change” he said. All the dead children were 6 to 7 years old. What could possibly be the motive of a person that he decided to gun down such small innocent children who hadn’t even completed a decade here on this earth?!
To all the Indians reading this, and specifically those who are thinking “Thank god humare India me ye pagalpan nahi hota.” Well have I got news for you. Read on and have your false pride knocked out.




2.
       The South Delhi Gang rape: This spine chilling incident which took place in New Delhi, the capital of my country, India. A young woman was gang raped inside a bus by six persons. Then she was stripped down and dumped roadside. For an hour she was there lying on the road, naked and hurt. Yet no one dare came forward even to cover her up, let alone help her. Now she is in a hospital, where she’s trying to get better. But will she ever? The physical wounds might heal, but the mental scars will remain. Plus, every time the girl will try to turn over a new leaf and start over, she’ll be reminded of that she is a victim by the citizens of this country. Because we sadly live in a society where the rapist walks free and it’s the victim that suffers. And the cherry on the cake, Delhi police officials say that women bring it upon themselves by dressing provocatively. Such a load of crap! Let’s say for argument sake that some women do dress provocatively, but does that give these men an open invitation to molest her? It’s all in the head of these sick people, it’s not the dress. Derek O Brien has rightly said that it is not a women’s issue, it’s a men’s issue. Men have started to behave like animals, even worse!

Today when I logged onto Facebook, I saw petitions all around, some for the children in US, and some for the justice of the rape victim. People are replacing their profile pictures with black dots to show their support, updating statuses giving their views on this matter. Anguish all around. But I don’t feel acting on social media will be of a large benefit. We are kidding ourselves if we think that our government will actually work on our e-petitions. But we still do that, because it gives us hope.

I am no one to say that the accused should get capital punishment or be castrated publicly, because that would suggest that I’m totally honest on my part. And I know that I’m not. I have two younger sisters, and god knows that I care about them a lot. I do care about every single person I have close affiliations with, be it friends or family. I know that if any harm occurs to them, I’ll stand up for them. We all will. But why do we react so indifferently when someone we don’t know is in trouble? Is that what the elders taught us? Is that what religion teaches us? We all are related in some way or the other, so it’s our duty to stand by each other’s side.

If we start looking out for each other and in turn protect the women in our society, mark my words, no one will dare ogle them, let alone eve teasing. We need to work on that.

People say that tomorrow is the much hyped Apocalypse, 21-12-2012. The world might end, they say. If it does, then there’s nothing we can do. But if it doesn’t, which I’m sure it won’t, and then let’s do something together, shall we? Let’s destroy this world of ours. Let’s destroy this world which is full of hatred, skepticism, dirty politics, negativity, cowardice and fear. Let’s finish it all! And let’s make a new world, one which is full of positivity and happiness, where we all can co-exist and our women & children can be fearless and free.


So I say let this world end, let’s end it together, destroy it! And make a new world, a good, decent and a better world governed by humanity.




This post is part of the contest Who is to be blamed? on WriteUpCafe.com

Comments

Popular Picks